Expressions using words related to Thanksgiving.
1. a turkey – a stupid person.? When people say something silly, sometimes we say, “Don’t be such a turkey.”
2. to talk turkey – to talk frankly, to get down to business.? We have to see if we can make a deal here.? It’s time to talk turkey.
3. a goose egg – a zero score in a game, a lump on the head after being hit.? We won 5-0; we got 5 goals and they had a big goose egg.? He fell off his bike and hit his head.? The next morning he had a big goose egg.
4. to have the stuffing knocked out of you – to make weak, to defeat badly.? We lost the game 8-1.? They knocked the stuffing out of us.
5. a dressing-down – a reprimand, a severe scolding.? After the employee was caught leaving work early without permission, he got a severe dressing-down.