“There is a whole industry of special interests and lobbyists coming up with new names, and schemes to try to fool people into paying this new tax,” said Ford. “But the people will not be fooled, they see right through the carbon tax. They know it is just another Liberal scheme to put the government’s hand in your pocket.”
Ford drew attention to the price of gas in British Columbia which was the first Canadian Province to introduce a carbon tax. In the ensuing years, the carbon tax along with a series of other taxes and levies have increased the price of gas in Vancouver to over $1.50 per litre.
“In BC it’s now open season on drivers and Kathleen Wynne wants to follow suit,” said Ford. “If you need to drive a car to get to work, to school or to pick up your kids from daycare, Kathleen Wynne will have her hand in your pocket every time you fill up your car.”
By eliminating Kathleen Wynne’s cap and trade slush fund, an Ontario PC Government will reduce gas prices by 4.3 cents per litre at the pump. Ford also announced that an Ontario PC Government will use every tool at its disposal, including going to the Supreme Court, to stop the Justin Trudeau Liberals from imposing a federal carbon tax on Ontario families.
“I guarantee you that the only thing we’re going to cap is taxes and the only thing we’re going to trade is Kathleen Wynne,” said Ford. “We’re going to scrap the carbon tax. We’re going to put more money in your pocket. Change is coming. And help is on the way.”
The Liberal Record
- Kathleen Wynne’s Cap and Trade slush fund is already forcing Ontario drivers to pay more each time they fill their tank. For every litre of gas you pump 4.3 cents goes into the Cap and Trade slush fund.
- The worst part about carbon taxes and cap and trade schemes is that the taxes never go down and never stay revenue neutral.
- BC was the first Canadian province to impose a carbon tax and, on April 10, 2018, Vancouver gas prices were over $1.51 per litre. In comparison Toronto’s gas prices were ‘only’ $1.29 per lite on that same day.
- The BC Carbon Tax opened the door to a series of additional tax grabs including a special Vancouver transit levy. Yet even when you account for these special taxes, the people of BC are still paying more for gas. For example, Abbotsford BC has no transit levy and, on April 10, 2018, gas prices were still above $1.40 per litre in Abbotsford.
The Ontario PC Plan
- A Doug Ford Ontario PC Government will cancel Kathleen Wynne’s Cap and Trade slush fund. This one move will immediately save drivers 4.3 cents per litre at the pump.
- A Doug Ford Ontario PC Government will also use every resource at its disposal to challenge and oppose any attempt by the federal government to impose a carbon tax on the people of Ontario against their wishes. This will include leading legal action, including seeking recourse from the Supreme Court of Canada.